How to Find the Right Nursing School near Desert Hot Springs California
Selecting the right nursing program near Desert Hot Springs CA may seem like a difficult project, particularly if you have no idea what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you must receive the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you research and assess the qualifications of each college you are contemplating before enrolling in your ultimate choice. The fact is, too many future students base their decision solely on the price of tuition and the nearness of the school. Selecting the least expensive college or the one that is local to your house is no doubt not the best way to select a nursing program. There are various essential additional considerations to explore before you determine where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first look at what the job of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical environments, including Desert Hot Springs CA hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary duty is to support doctors in the care of their patients. However, the specific duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization in addition to where they work. Some of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Overseeing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Instructing patients and their families
- Keeping health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more complex job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and normally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
There are multiple degrees to choose from to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in just two years, or advance to achieve a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short summaries of the nursing degrees that are available in the Desert Hot Springs CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is generally a two year program made available by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and afterwards achieve a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more expansive training than the ADN. It is normally a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be eligible to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may want to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a 2 year program after acquiring the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so don’t forget to check with the California board of nursing for any state mandates.
There are principally two scholastic accreditations available that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be concluded in the shortest amount of time, commonly about 12 months, is the certificate or diploma program. The next option is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and normally require 2 years to complete. The benefit of Associate Degrees, besides offering a higher credential and more comprehensive instruction, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you seek, it should be California approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
In contrast to other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to earn a college degree. CNA training can be obtained at Desert Hot Springs CA area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to obtain at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimum amount of instruction directed and that every state has its own requirements. So it’s essential to make certain that the course you enroll in not only fulfills the federal requirements, but additionally those for California or the state where you will be practicing. One tip is to contact the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the training course is state certified. In addition to the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be additional requirements as well.
Things to Ask Nursing Degree Programs
Once you have selected which nursing degree to enroll in, and whether to attend your classes on campus near Desert Hot Springs CA or online, you can utilize the following pointers to start narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges within California and the United States. So it is essential to decrease the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier mentioned, the site of the school along with the expense of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the primary two points that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to see how your selection compares to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. In addition to helping confirm that you obtain a quality education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are often not available in Desert Hot Springs CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only provides an outstanding education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Visit internet rating services to see what the reviews are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. In addition, get in touch with the California school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Desert Hot Springs CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a superb reputation within the Desert Hot Springs CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Check if the schools have a working relationship with Desert Hot Springs CA hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placing of students in internships.
Nursing Online Programs
Enrolling in nursing schools online is growing into a more favored way to obtain instruction and earn a nursing degree. Some schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs require a specific number of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare facility. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more accommodating answer to finding the time to attend school for some Desert Hot Springs CA students. Regarding tuition, a number of online degree programs are less costly than other on campus choices. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your work and family responsibilities have left you with very little time to pursue your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Desert Hot Springs CA?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Desert Hot Springs California area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Desert Hot Springs, California
Desert Hot Springs, also known as DHS, is a city in Riverside County, California, United States. The city is located within the Coachella Valley geographic region, sometimes referred to as the Desert Empire. The population was 25,938 at the 2010 census, up from 16,582 at the 2000 census. The city has undergone rapid development and high population growth since the 1970s, when there were 2,700 residents.
It is named for its many natural hot springs. It is one of few places in the world with naturally occurring hot- and cold mineral springs. Desert Hot Springs is home to the largest collection of warm mineral springs in the United States. More than 20 natural mineral spring lodgings can be found in town. Unlike most hot springs, the mineral springs in town are odorless.
The only people residing in areas north of Palm Springs prior to the 20th century was Cahuilla Indians in the village of Seven Palms. Although Cahuilla people never settled permanently in today’s Desert Hot Springs, they often camped here during winter times due to the warm climate.
Select the Right Nursing College near Desert Hot Springs CA
Picking the ideal registered nursing school is arguably the most crucial phase to starting a new career in the health care field. There are numerous aspects that you need to think about when selecting a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, obligations, and economic situation. As we have pointed out within this post, it is essential that you select an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a shortlist of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your hard work and ambition to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Desert Hot Springs CA.
More Awesome Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 20
Bing: California nursing schools Search results
Online LVN Programs in California: See CA Approved Schools
Earning your LVN credential can be a great entry point into a rewarding nursing career. Licensed vocational nurse positions in California are on the rise with an estimated growth rate of 15 percent during the 2018-2028 decade, according to Projections Central, and 11,600 new jobs expected to come open.. To practice as an LVN in California you’ll need to complete your credential and pass the ...
Best 15 Law Schools in California in 2022 - Best Value Schools
The school ranks among one of the top 10 U.S. Schools for diversity. It also ranks in the top 3 for required experiential learning credits (15) among U.S. Schools. The faculty has been published extensively in a number of law reviews and specialty journals, including California Law Review, Boston College Law Review, Iowa Law Review, among others.
Nursing | University of California Health
Leading California — and the Nation. Our nursing schools are among the best in the U.S., according to U.S. News & World Report and other rankings. With a variety of degree options, our schools of nursing are designed to address future health provider workforce shortages across California and beyond.
Nursing - California State University, East Bay
The Master's Degree in Nursing and Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing at California State University at East Bay are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, D.C. 20001, 202-887-6791. Baccalaureate Degree previously accredited by National League for Nursing from 1975 to 2011.
Pacific College - Nursing School in California
Pacific College offers career-oriented programs in vocational nursing, healthcare administration, MSN, BSN, and more. Earn a nursing degree online or onsite. ... Pre-licensure Registered Nursing program approved by California’s Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). Pacific College. 800-867-2243. Pacific College. 3160 Red Hill Avenue, Costa Mesa ...
Online ADN Programs: See Top Schools for Associate Degrees in Nursing
1. Create List of Eligible Schools and Programs. To be eligible for this ranking, schools were required to meet the following criteria based on government data provided by The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Institutional accreditation from an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Department of Nursing | CSUSB - California State University, San Bernardino
The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing programs at California State University San Bernardino are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. CSUSB's Nursing Department is proud to acknowledge their 3rd Quarter (July-September) NCLEX pass rate of 100% for first-time test takers. For Cumulative Scores:
Best High Schools in California - US News
Top Ranked . California Schools # 1 Whitney High School 16800 Shoemaker Ave., Cerritos, California 90703 # 2 California Academy of Mathematics and Science 1000 E. Victoria St. Bldg. Sac3 Rm3117 ...
Best Ultrasound Technician Schools in California – 2022
Accreditation: CAAHEP Program Type: B.S. in Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Certificate in Cardiac Sonography Loma Linda University houses well-known patient-care-facilities that not only serve patients of the Inland Empire but also provide an opportunity for its students to gain real-world experience. The School of Allied Health Professions at LLU offers two programs for aspiring sonographers.
Best 20 Accelerated Nursing Programs in 2022 [Updated]
Now let’s look at some of your options for accelerated nursing study. There are 264 member schools in the AACN that offer accelerated nursing programs. There are another 135 accelerated nursing programs that are not listed with the AACN. ... California. They have a 100 percent acceptance rate. This small program only admits 10 to 20 students ...