How to Enroll In a Nursing Program near Yakutat Alaska
Choosing the right nursing college near Yakutat AK may seem like a complicated undertaking, particularly if you aren’t sure what to search for in a good degree program. As you may already know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you must receive the appropriate education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you research and assess the qualifications of each program you are thinking about before enrolling in your ultimate selection. The fact is, too many future students base their selection entirely on the price of tuition and the proximity of the school. Picking the least costly school or the one that is local to your house is no doubt not the best way to choose a nursing program. There are various crucial additional aspects to investigate before you make a decision where to attend classes. But before we delve into that checklist, let’s first look at what the role of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, along with the nursing degree choices that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Responsibilities
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical settings, such as Yakutat AK hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary role is to aid doctors in the treatment of their patients. However, the specific duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise along with where they work. A portion of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Overseeing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Instructing patients and their families
- Keeping health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more advanced job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degree Options
There are multiple degrees to choose from to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can receive a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or advance to obtain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short explanations of the nursing degrees that are available in the Yakutat AK area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is generally a 2 year program offered by community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level job in nursing in healthcare centers such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and subsequently achieve a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is typically a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might wish to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is normally a 2 year program after achieving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has received one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Additional requirements for licensing change from state to state, so be sure to check with the Alaska board of nursing for any state requirements.
LPN and LVN Programs
There are basically two scholastic accreditations available that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be concluded in the shortest time period, normally about 12 months, is the certificate or diploma program. The next option is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and commonly require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, along with offering a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you pursue, it needs to be Alaska approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the core curriculum adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to attain a college degree. CNA training can be acquired at Yakutat AK area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training program can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to receive at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which must be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimal period of instruction mandated and each state has its own requirements. So it’s necessary to make sure that the program you enroll in not only satisfies the federal requirements, but also those for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing. One suggestion is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the training is state approved. As well as the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there can be other prerequisites as well.
Questions to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have decided on which nursing degree to pursue, as well as whether to attend your classes on campus near Yakutat AK or on the web, you can utilize the following pointers to start narrowing down your choices. As you probably realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges within Alaska and the United States. So it is essential to reduce the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a manageable list. As we already mentioned, the site of the school and the price of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the initial two factors that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final selection, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. Besides helping make sure that you receive a quality education, it may assist in securing financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not offered in Yakutat AK for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an excellent education, but also preps you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Look at online rating services to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. Also, get in touch with the Alaska school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Yakutat AK healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a favorable reputation within the Yakutat AK medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Almost all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing as well. Check if the schools have associations with Yakutat AK hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Online Nursing Schools
Attending nursing programs online is emerging as a more preferred way to receive training and attain a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs call for a specific number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more convenient solution to finding the time to attend classes for some Yakutat AK students. Pertaining to tuition, some online degree programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be reduced, helping to make education more affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your job and household commitments have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Yakutat AK?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Yakutat Alaska area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
The City and Borough of Yakutat (/ˈjækətæt/, YAK-ə-tat) (Tlingit: Yaakwdáat) is a borough in the U.S. state of Alaska and was the name of a former city within it. The name is Tlingit, Yaakwdáat ("the place where canoes rest") but it originally derives from an Eyak name diyaʼqudaʼt and was influenced by the Tlingit word yaakw ("canoe, boat"). The borough covers an area about six times the size of the U.S. state of Rhode Island, making it one of the largest counties (or county equivalents) in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 662, down from 680 in 2000.
The Borough of Yakutat was incorporated as a non-unified Home Rule Borough on September 22, 1992. Yakutat was previously a city in the Skagway–Yakutat–Angoon Census Area (afterwards renamed the Skagway–Hoonah–Angoon Census Area).
The U.S. Census Bureau has defined the former City of Yakutat as a census-designated place within the borough. The only other significant population center in the borough is the community of Icy Bay, the site of the Icy Bay Airport, in the west-central part of the borough.
Choose the Right Nursing School near Yakutat AK
Selecting the ideal registered nursing program is potentially the most critical first step to launching a new career in the health care field. There are numerous aspects that you need to consider when selecting a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career goals, obligations, and financial situation. As we have pointed out within this article, it is critical that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have exceptional reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing RN in Yakutat AK.
More Awesome Locations in Alaska
Bing: Alaska nursing degrees Search results
Nursing Degrees: Arizona & New Mexico Nursing Programs - Brookline College
Our Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program is the best option for current or aspiring nurses who want to advance their careers by earning their bachelor’s degree. On the other hand, if you already have a non-nursing bachelor’s degree but dream of switching careers, our second degree BSN for baccalaureate graduates offers the perfect ...
Nursing, RN to BSN – Keiser University
This program has a strong focus on cultural, political, economic, and social issues that affect patients and influence health care delivery. Seventy percent of upper division program requirements consist of nursing courses (42 of the 60 upper division credit hours), knowledge you can apply to your current and future practice of nursing.
Undergraduate Programs < CourseLeaf - University of Alaska system
UAA offers a number of Baccalaureate degrees, depending upon the field of study. The two primary types are as follows: 1. The Bachelor of Arts (BA) degrees generally require additional course work in the liberal arts, humanities, and social sciences and offer greater flexibility in elective credits, with a focus upon broad-based achievement in preparation for graduate school, the corporate or ...
RN to BSN Online Program | Accelerated & Finish Fast In 1 Year ...
Advance in nursing with Franklin's RN to BSN program. Online & CCNE accredited. $298 per credit hour & finish in 1 year with a $3,000 automatic scholarship. ... Franklin is an accredited nonprofit university offering flexible college degrees online and at locations in Ohio and the Midwest. Franklin University 201 S Grant Ave. Columbus, OH 43215 ...
College of Nursing – Keiser University
Professionally Focused Degrees for Patient-Focused Nursing Careers. Slider Status. Request Information Request Info. Step 1 Step 1 of 2. Location: Area of Study: Program of Interest: ... There is a growing need for compassionate and qualified nursing professionals. To help meet the need, the College of Nursing at Keiser University offers career ...
Nursing Bachelors Degree Requirements, Curriculum, Optional Degrees ...
Types of Nursing Bachelors Programs. Nursing is a career-centric field and as such the avenues for achieving the Bachelors are multi-pronged. Here are the common degree programs that offer nearly everyone interested in nursing an opportunity to get in on this career: BSN is the straightforward Bachelors degree you can start from beginning to end.
Degrees & Diploma Programs - Brookline College
Healthcare Degrees. Allied Health (A.A.S.) Medical Lab Technician (A.A.S.) Occupational Therapy Assistant (A.A.S.) Physical Therapist Assistant (A.A.S.) ... Learn more about our highly regarded degree and diploma programs in Healthcare and Nursing. We also offer multiple online programs for students who prefer a remote option for their college ...
Course Descriptions < CourseLeaf - University of Alaska system
Associate of Applied Science Degrees Toggle Associate of Applied Science Degrees. AAS Policies; General Education for AAS Degrees; ... Nursing Toggle Nursing. Grad Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner; ... University of Alaska Anchorage. 3211 Providence Dr. Anchorage, AK 99508 ...
University of Alaska Anchorage | University of Alaska Anchorage
Recruitment and Retention of Alaska Natives into Nursing (RRANN) ... UAA is the premier university in the heart of Alaska's largest city with campuses throughout Southcentral Alaska. Where culture, innovation and adventure converge, the unique locations provide unparalleled access to industry connections, Arctic research, outdoor recreation and ...
Graduate Education at UAA - University of Alaska Anchorage
Innovation, Creativity, and Research. The University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) Graduate School offers 6 doctoral and more than 20 Master's degree programs, and 9 graduate certificate programs.