How to Enroll In a Nursing Program near Metlakatla Alaska
Locating the right nursing school near Metlakatla AK may feel like a complex undertaking, especially if you don’t know what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to acquire the appropriate education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you research and determine the qualifications of each school you are thinking about before enrolling in your ultimate selection. Unfortunately, too many future students base their decision exclusively on the cost of tuition and the distance of the school. Picking the least costly college or the one that is closest to your residence is most likely not the best way to decide on a nursing program. There are several essential additional aspects to look into before you determine where to enroll in classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first review what the role of a registered nurse is in our health system, together with the nursing degree options that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Responsibilities
Registered nurses are the largest occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in many different medical environments, such as Metlakatla AK hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general function is to support doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the exact duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. A portion of the functions of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Overseeing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more high level job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and typically work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are multiple degrees available to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can obtain a qualifying degree in just two years, or advance to earn a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief explanations of the nursing degrees that are available in the Metlakatla AK area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a 2 year program made available by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and later earn a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more in depth training than the ADN. It is typically a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is generally a 2 year program after acquiring the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Additional requirements for licensing fluctuate from state to state, so make sure to check with the Alaska board of nursing for any state mandates.
LPN Certificates and Degrees
There are principally two scholastic accreditations available that provide instruction to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be finished in the shortest period of time, usually about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma program. The second option is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and normally require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, along with supplying a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you pursue, it needs to be Alaska approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the core curriculum effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
In contrast to other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to attain a college degree. CNA training can be obtained at Metlakatla AK area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training can take anywhere from 1 to three months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to obtain at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which need to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimum amount of instruction mandated and each state has its specific prerequisites. So it’s essential to make certain that the program you enroll in not only complies with the federal requirements, but also those for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing. One recommendation is to get in touch with the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the training is state approved. Along with the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there can be additional requirements as well.
Things to Ask Nursing Colleges
Once you have decided on which nursing program to pursue, along with if to attend your classes on campus near Metlakatla AK or on the web, you can utilize the following pointers to begin narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt are aware, there are many nursing schools and colleges within Alaska and the United States. So it is important to reduce the number of schools to choose from to ensure that you will have a workable list. As we earlier pointed out, the location of the school and the price of tuition are probably going to be the primary two factors that you will consider. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So before making your final choice, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Besides helping ensure that you receive a quality education, it may assist in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are often not offered in Metlakatla AK for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) together with graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a certain number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an exceptional education, but also readies you to meet the minimum licensing standards for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check internet rating companies to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. Also, contact the Alaska school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Metlakatla AK healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a superb reputation within the Metlakatla AK healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing too. Ask if the schools have associations with Metlakatla AK hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the positioning of students in internships.
Online Nursing Schools
Attending nursing programs online is becoming a more popular way to receive instruction and attain a nursing degree. Some schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs call for a specified number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare facility. But since the balance of the training may be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical answer to finding the free time to attend classes for many Metlakatla AK students. Concerning tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus alternatives. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be reduced, helping to make education more economical. And many online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and household commitments have left you with limited time to pursue your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing school will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Metlakatla AK?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Metlakatla Alaska area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Metlakatla /ˌmɛtləˈkætlə/ (Tsimshian: Maaxłakxaała "Saltwater pass") is a census-designated place (CDP) on Annette Island in Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area, Alaska, United States. At the 2000 census the population was 1,375; this had grown to 1,405 by the 2010 census.
Since the late 19th century, it has been the major settlement of the Metlakatla Indian Community of the federally recognized Annette Islands Reserve, the only reserve in Alaska and U.S. The Metlakatla voted to opt out of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of the 1970s and retained rights to their land and waters. Membership in the community is primarily by lineage; it consists primarily of Tsimshian people and also includes those from other Alaskan Native tribes who wish to join the Metlakatla Indian Community as a bona fide member. Bona fide membership is granted upon approval of the Metlakatla Tribal Council and Executives.
Metlakatla comes from Maxłakxaała, a Tsimshian word meaning "Salt Water Passage." Metlakatla was named after another village of the same name ("Old Metlakatla") in British Columbia, which is on Metlakatla Pass, near Prince Rupert. In a more ancient time, it was a Tlingit hunting ground known as Taquan. The Tsimshian were granted permission to own the land by Chief Johnson of the Tlingit tribe.
Pick the Right Nursing College near Metlakatla AK
Deciding on the right registered nursing program is potentially the most important first step to beginning a new career in the medical care field. There are numerous factors that you need to consider when deciding on a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and economic status. As we have emphasized within this post, it is essential that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have excellent reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a shortlist of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and ambition to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Metlakatla AK.
More Awesome Locations in Alaska
Bing: Alaska nursing degrees Search results
Nursing Degrees: Arizona & New Mexico Nursing Programs - Brookline College
Our Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program is the best option for current or aspiring nurses who want to advance their careers by earning their bachelor’s degree. On the other hand, if you already have a non-nursing bachelor’s degree but dream of switching careers, our second degree BSN for baccalaureate graduates offers the perfect ...
Nursing, RN to BSN – Keiser University
This program has a strong focus on cultural, political, economic, and social issues that affect patients and influence health care delivery. Seventy percent of upper division program requirements consist of nursing courses (42 of the 60 upper division credit hours), knowledge you can apply to your current and future practice of nursing.
Undergraduate Programs < CourseLeaf - University of Alaska system
UAA offers a number of Baccalaureate degrees, depending upon the field of study. The two primary types are as follows: 1. The Bachelor of Arts (BA) degrees generally require additional course work in the liberal arts, humanities, and social sciences and offer greater flexibility in elective credits, with a focus upon broad-based achievement in preparation for graduate school, the corporate or ...
RN to BSN Online Program | Accelerated & Finish Fast In 1 Year ...
Advance in nursing with Franklin's RN to BSN program. Online & CCNE accredited. $298 per credit hour & finish in 1 year with a $3,000 automatic scholarship. ... Franklin is an accredited nonprofit university offering flexible college degrees online and at locations in Ohio and the Midwest. Franklin University 201 S Grant Ave. Columbus, OH 43215 ...
College of Nursing – Keiser University
Professionally Focused Degrees for Patient-Focused Nursing Careers. Slider Status. Request Information Request Info. Step 1 Step 1 of 2. Location: Area of Study: Program of Interest: ... There is a growing need for compassionate and qualified nursing professionals. To help meet the need, the College of Nursing at Keiser University offers career ...
Nursing Bachelors Degree Requirements, Curriculum, Optional Degrees ...
Types of Nursing Bachelors Programs. Nursing is a career-centric field and as such the avenues for achieving the Bachelors are multi-pronged. Here are the common degree programs that offer nearly everyone interested in nursing an opportunity to get in on this career: BSN is the straightforward Bachelors degree you can start from beginning to end.
Degrees & Diploma Programs - Brookline College
Healthcare Degrees. Allied Health (A.A.S.) Medical Lab Technician (A.A.S.) Occupational Therapy Assistant (A.A.S.) Physical Therapist Assistant (A.A.S.) ... Learn more about our highly regarded degree and diploma programs in Healthcare and Nursing. We also offer multiple online programs for students who prefer a remote option for their college ...
Course Descriptions < CourseLeaf - University of Alaska system
Associate of Applied Science Degrees Toggle Associate of Applied Science Degrees. AAS Policies; General Education for AAS Degrees; ... Nursing Toggle Nursing. Grad Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner; ... University of Alaska Anchorage. 3211 Providence Dr. Anchorage, AK 99508 ...
University of Alaska Anchorage | University of Alaska Anchorage
Recruitment and Retention of Alaska Natives into Nursing (RRANN) ... UAA is the premier university in the heart of Alaska's largest city with campuses throughout Southcentral Alaska. Where culture, innovation and adventure converge, the unique locations provide unparalleled access to industry connections, Arctic research, outdoor recreation and ...
Graduate Education at UAA - University of Alaska Anchorage
Innovation, Creativity, and Research. The University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) Graduate School offers 6 doctoral and more than 20 Master's degree programs, and 9 graduate certificate programs.