How to Enroll In a Nursing College near Yucaipa California
Selecting the best nursing program near Yucaipa CA may feel like a formidable endeavor, particularly if you have no idea what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to receive the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you study and assess the qualifications of each school you are considering before enrolling in your final choice. Unfortunately, too many future students base their decision solely on the cost of tuition and the proximity of the school. Selecting the least expensive college or the one that is nearest to your home is no doubt not the most reliable way to select a nursing program. There are several essential additional things to investigate before you determine where to attend classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first cover what the function of a registered nurse is in our medical system, along with the nursing degree choices that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Responsibilities
Registered nurses are the primary occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different medical environments, including Yucaipa CA hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic function is to aid doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the specific duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. A few of the functions of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Observing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Maintaining health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more advanced job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and typically work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat basic illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are multiple degrees offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in just 2 years, or advance to obtain a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Yucaipa CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is normally a 2 year program offered by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical centers such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and subsequently attain a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is usually a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a two year program after receiving the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has received one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so make sure to get in touch with the California board of nursing for any state mandates.
LPN Certificates and Degrees
There are generally two academic accreditations available that provide training to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be finished in the shortest amount of time, generally about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma course. The next choice is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma alternative and commonly require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, along with providing a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you seek, it should be California approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
In contrast to many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to earn a college degree. CNA education can be obtained at Yucaipa CA area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training program can take anywhere from just one to three months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to obtain at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which must be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimum amount of instruction directed and every state has its own prerequisites. So it’s necessary to make certain that the course you enroll in not only satisfies the federal requirements, but also those for California or the state where you will be practicing. One suggestion is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the training is state certified. Along with the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be additional requirements as well.
Questions to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have decided on which nursing program to enroll in, and whether to attend your classes on campus near Yucaipa CA or online, you can use the following pointers to start narrowing down your options. As you no doubt realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges throughout California and the United States. So it is essential to reduce the number of schools to select from so that you will have a manageable list. As we already pointed out, the location of the school along with the price of tuition are probably going to be the first two factors that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final decision, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Aside from helping confirm that you get an excellent education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are often not available in Yucaipa CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a certain number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only delivers an exceptional education, but also prepares you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for California or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check internet rating services to see what the evaluations are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. Additionally, contact the California school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Yucaipa CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a superb reputation within the Yucaipa CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The best way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing also. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with Yucaipa CA hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Online Nursing Classes
Enrolling in nursing schools online is growing into a more popular way to obtain training and attain a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs call for a specific amount of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training may be accessed online, this method may be a more practical solution to finding the time to attend college for many Yucaipa CA students. Concerning tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus alternatives. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be reduced, helping to make education more economical. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your job and family commitments have left you with very little time to pursue your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing school will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Yucaipa CA?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Yucaipa California area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Yucaipa (/juːˈkaɪpə/ yoo-KY-pə) is a city located 10 miles (16 km) east of San Bernardino, in San Bernardino County, California, United States. The population was 51,367 at the 2010 census, up from 41,207 at the 2000 census. According to San Bernardino County, the projected population in 2012 is 58,187.
Yucaipa has the distinction of being the former, longtime home of a large population of Serrano Indians and was also known for being the home base of what is now Stater Bros. Markets (founded in 1936, and now headquartered in San Bernardino).
Yucaipa City is located in the southwestern United States, in southeastern California, approximately 80 miles (130 km) east of Los Angeles. This city is approximately 2,600 ft (790 m) above sea level.
Pick the Right Nursing College near Yucaipa CA
Enrolling in the right registered nursing college is probably the most critical phase to beginning a new career in the healthcare industry. There are various aspects that you need to think about when deciding on a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career goals, obligations, and economic situation. As we have pointed out within this post, it is essential that you pick an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a licensed registered nurse in Yucaipa CA.
More Awesome Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 61
Bing: California nursing degrees Search results
Accelerated Nursing Programs in California - 2021
Its nursing programs have over the years earned a reputation of delivering successful learning outcomes, thereby transforming the lives of its students. The Entry Level Masters Program (MSN-E) is a two-year full-time program of continuous study that is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Ask.com - What's Your Question?
We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us.
Academic Programs - California State University, Northridge
California State University, Northridge, one of the nation's largest public universities, is the intellectual, economic and cultural heart of Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley and beyond.
William & Mary on Instagram: “Move-In looks a little ...
3,019 Likes, 39 Comments - William & Mary (@william_and_mary) on Instagram: “Move-In looks a little different this year, and we know there are mixed emotions right now. We want…”
A Leading CSU | California State University, Fullerton
CSUF is a top public university in the 23-campus California State University system. The university is located in Orange County, California.
Best Online PhD in Nursing Programs 2021 | Affordable ...
As America ages and nursing practice continues to expand, the Institute of Medicine has stressed the need for more doctoral-trained nurses.To date, however, only 1% of nursing program grads in the U.S. hold a doctorate in nursing.. A salary and compensation study conducted by the American Organization for Nursing Leadership (AONL) reveals that chief nursing executives with a doctoral degree in ...
MSN Programs in California (CA)
California State University, Long Beach School of Nursing. Several pathways to a Master of Science in Nursing are offered through the School of Nursing at California State University, Long Beach. They offer a Direct Entry pathway as well as a traditional BSN to MSN pathway. RNs are also offered an RN to BSN to MSN pathway.