How to Enroll In a Nursing College near Sunshine Louisiana
Searching for the right nursing college near Sunshine LA may feel like a formidable endeavor, particularly if you have no idea what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, for you to practice as a registered nurse, you need to receive the necessary education and training to become licensed. So it is critically important that you study and assess the qualifications of each school you are thinking about before enrolling in your ultimate choice. The fact is, too many prospective students base their selection exclusively on the cost of tuition and the nearness of the school. Choosing the least expensive program or the one that is closest to your house is no doubt not the best way to pick a nursing program. There are various essential additional considerations to check out before you decide where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first review what the role of a registered nurse is in our medical care system, as well as the nursing degree options that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Responsibilities
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different medical environments, namely Sunshine LA hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic function is to help doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the specific duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. A portion of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Observing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Managing care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Keeping health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more advanced job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are several degree options to choose from to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or continue on to achieve a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some short summaries of the nursing degrees that are available in the Sunshine LA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is commonly a 2 year program made available by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical centers including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and ultimately attain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more in depth training than the ADN. It is generally a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might desire to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a 2 year program after achieving the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has acquired one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing fluctuate from state to state, so make sure to get in touch with the Louisiana board of nursing for any state requirements.
There are principally two scholastic accreditations available that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that can be completed in the shortest time period, normally about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma program. The 2nd choice is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and normally require 2 years to complete. The benefit of Associate Degrees, in addition to providing a higher credential and more comprehensive instruction, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you seek, it should be Louisiana approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to attain a college degree. CNA instruction can be received at Sunshine LA area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to have at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimum amount of instruction directed and every state has its specific requirements. So it’s crucial to make certain that the program you enroll in not only fulfills the federal requirements, but also those for Louisiana or the state where you will be practicing. One suggestion is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the education is state certified. As well as the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be other requirements as well.
Questions to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have decided on which nursing degree to enroll in, as well as if to attend your classes on campus near Sunshine LA or on the internet, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your options. As you no doubt realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges within Louisiana and the United States. So it is essential to reduce the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a workable list. As we already mentioned, the location of the school along with the price of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So before making your final choice, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. Aside from helping verify that you obtain a premium education, it may assist in securing financial aid or student loans, which are often not offered in Sunshine LA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only provides an exceptional education, but also readies you to meet the minimum licensing standards for Louisiana or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Visit online rating companies to see what the evaluations are for all of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. Also, get in touch with the Louisiana school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Sunshine LA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a favorable reputation within the Sunshine LA medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing also. Check if the schools have associations with Sunshine LA hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Nursing Online Classes
Attending nursing colleges online is becoming a more preferred way to obtain instruction and acquire a nursing degree. Many schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and nearly all programs require a specific number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more practical solution to finding the free time to attend classes for some Sunshine LA students. Pertaining to tuition, some online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus choices. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your work and household responsibilities have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing school will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Sunshine LA?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Sunshine Louisiana area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
In the late 1970s, he met Kool Moe Dee, Special K and DJ Easy Lee and started performing at the age of 15. L.A. Sunshine joined with other rappers Kool Moe Dee and Special K as well as DJ Easy Lee to form the influential old school hip hop group the Treacherous Three. In 1981, they moved to Sugar Hill Records along with another Enjoy Records act Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. The Treacherous Three became well known for their singles "Feel the Heart Beat" and "Whip It". They were featured in the 1984 film the breakdance cult-movie Beat Street performing the song Xmas Rap with Doug E Fresh, but disbanded shortly afterwards. When Kool Moe Dee went solo, Hill went with him and performed on stages around the world but spent most of his time on tour doing drugs.
In 2011, Hill penned an autobiography titled "L.A. Sunshine: A True Story, The Real Accounts" which details his difficult childhood, the perks and downsides of his time as an entertainer, and the depression, homelessness and suicide attempts that filled his early adult life.
Hill has worked several part-time and seasonal jobs in after-school programs and as a teacher's aide at several New York area educational facilities including Promise Academy Charter School in Harlem, Imagine Me Leadership Charter School in Brooklyn and the now closed Rice High School.
Pick the Right Nursing Degree near Sunshine LA
Picking the ideal registered nursing program is potentially the most critical step to beginning a new career in the health care industry. There are many variables that you must take into account when deciding on a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career objectives, lifestyle, and economic situation. As we have highlighted in this post, it is important that you pick an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the medical community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become a licensed RN in Sunshine LA.
More Awesome Locations in Louisiana
Business Results 1 - 10 of 2
Bing: Louisiana nursing schools Search results
The Advocate | Baton Rouge, Louisiana Breaking New | The Advocate ...
The Advocate is Louisiana's leading news source, providing award-winning local and regional news coverage.
Nursing Master’s Degree Program | Louisiana - Academics
Networking Opportunities: McNeese’s graduate nursing program is part of Louisiana’s Intercollegiate Consortium for a Master of Science Nursing, which enables MSN students access to networking opportunities with partner schools Southeastern Louisiana University, University of Louisiana at Lafayette and Nicholls State University.
Nursing Schools in New Orleans, LA | Chamberlain
Chamberlain College of Nursing has full approval to offer the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program in New Orleans from the Louisiana State Board of Nursing, 17373 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, LA 70810, 225.755.7500.
Home - Louisiana State Board of Nursing
We are proud of our work and our nurses, and our efforts to ensure high-quality health care for the citizens of Louisiana. December 2022 Board Meeting December 12, 2022 at 9:00 AM to December 12, 2022 at 3:00 PM Louisiana State Board of Nursing 17373 Perkins Road Baton Rouge, LA
Delta College | Allied Health & Nursing Schools in Louisiana
Delta College offers career training at our Louisiana locations. We prepare students for nursing & allied health careers. ... Our allied health and nursing schools in Baton Rouge, Slidell, Lafayette, and Covington are high-quality career training institutions. (225) 503-2650. Is Career Training Right For You? Find Out! Take the free quiz ...
Best Online Nursing Programs | Accredited Schools Online
Your nursing program is a major step in qualifying for a nursing license. If your program is unaccredited, you may be unable to apply for licensure. An online degree will be just as respected as a traditional degree, so long as it's accredited. Here are legitimate accreditors for nursing schools to look for as you compare programs:
HBCU Nursing Programs & Schools - Registered nursing
Many HBCUs offer nursing programs that are among the top-rated schools in the nation. For example, Fayetteville State University in Fayetteville, North Carolina is among the top HBCUs in the United States. Their nursing program is listed as having a 97.83% NCLEX-RN pass rate for first-time test-takers, which is over 5% higher than the state ...
School of Nursing - LSU Health New Orleans
According to Nursing Schools Almanac... Welcome. The only nursing school in Louisiana within an academic health sciences center... Simulation. The first nationally accredited nursing simulation center in Louisiana... Previous Next. Latest News. Upcoming Events.
List of nursing schools in the United States - Wikipedia
This is a list of nursing schools in the United States of America, sorted by state. A nursing school is a school that teaches people how to be nurses ... Western Kentucky University Department of Nursing, Bowling Green; Louisiana. Baton Rouge Community College, Baton Rouge;
2023 Best Nursing Schools (Master's Program) - US News Rankings
in Best Nursing Schools: Master's; Cost (Type) TUITION AND FEES (MASTER'S) $973 per credit (in-state, full-time) TUITION AND FEES (MASTER'S) 471 ENROLLMENT (MASTER'S) Ohio State University is a ...