How to Pick a Nursing Program near Crowley Louisiana
Finding the best nursing program near Crowley LA may feel like a formidable project, particularly if you aren’t sure what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you must receive the appropriate education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you study and evaluate the qualifications of each program you are considering before enrolling in your ultimate selection. Unfortunately, too many potential students base their determination solely on the price of tuition and the proximity of the school. Deciding on the least expensive college or the one that is closest to your residence is undoubtedly not the most reliable way to choose a nursing program. There are many important additional considerations to explore before you make a decision where to attend classes. But before we delve into that checklist, let’s first go over what the function of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Responsibilities
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different medical settings, such as Crowley LA hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary role is to help doctors in the treatment of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. A portion of the functions of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Monitoring patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Taking care of health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more advanced job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and generally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat basic illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There is more than one degree option available to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can receive a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or advance to attain a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some short summaries of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Crowley LA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is normally a 2 year program offered by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare centers such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and later earn a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more expansive training than the ADN. It is usually a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may want to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a 2 year program after achieving the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing change from state to state, so don’t forget to get in touch with the Louisiana board of nursing for any state requirements.
There are basically two academic credentials offered that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that can be concluded in the shortest amount of time, generally about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma program. The 2nd option is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma alternative and commonly require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, besides supplying a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you pursue, it needs to be Louisiana approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or some other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the core curriculum properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to attain a college degree. CNA education can be obtained at Crowley LA area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the instruction can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to obtain at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimum period of instruction mandated and every state has its own requirements. So it’s necessary to make certain that the training program you enroll in not only complies with the federal requirements, but additionally those for Louisiana or the state where you will be practicing. One tip is to get in touch with the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the training is state certified. As well as the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be other requirements as well.
What to Ask Nursing Programs
Once you have chosen which nursing program to enroll in, and if to attend your classes on campus near Crowley LA or on the internet, you can utilize the following pointers to begin narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges throughout Louisiana and the United States. So it is necessary to decrease the number of schools to choose from to ensure that you will have a workable list. As we earlier pointed out, the site of the school along with the price of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two things that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final choice, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. In addition to helping verify that you receive a quality education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not available in Crowley LA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a certain number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only provides an exceptional education, but also readies you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for Louisiana or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Visit online rating services to see what the reviews are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. Also, get in touch with the Louisiana school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Crowley LA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a superb reputation within the Crowley LA medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The best way to get experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing as well. Check if the schools have a working relationship with Crowley LA hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placing of students in internships.
Online Nursing Schools
Enrolling in nursing schools online is becoming a more popular way to get training and attain a nursing degree. Many schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and nearly all programs require a certain number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more convenient solution to finding the free time to attend college for some Crowley LA students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus choices. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be reduced, helping to make education more economical. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your work and household responsibilities have left you with very little time to pursue your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Crowley LA?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Crowley Louisiana area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Crowley (Local pronunciation: /ˈkræli/) is a city in and the parish seat of Acadia Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 13,265 at the 2010 census but 14,225 in 2000, a loss of nearly a thousand persons. It is 63.8 percent Non-Hispanic White.
Crowley is noted for its annual International Rice Festival. Crowley has the nickname of "Rice Capital of America", because at one time it was a major center for rice harvesting and milling Today, Crowley still has a number of rice mills and rice is the main crop of many local farmers. In addition, in recent years, crawfish farming has become increasingly popular.
The Crowley High School "Fighting Gents" were State Division 3A Champs in the 1989 football season and had an 8-2 regular season. Crowley is also the home of Notre Dame High School. Notre Dame is a parish-wide Catholic school whose football program has won 5 state championships and numerous District Champion titles.
Select the Right Nursing College near Crowley LA
Enrolling in the ideal registered nursing program is probably the most important phase to starting a new career in the medical care field. There are many factors that you must consider when picking a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have stressed within this article, it is critical that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the medical community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become a licensed registered nurse in Crowley LA.
More Awesome Locations in Louisiana
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: Louisiana nursing colleges Search results
Nursing Master’s Degree Program | Louisiana - Academics
As a graduate nursing student at McNeese, you will enjoy the flexibility of a fully online degree while still receiving the full support of the Department of Nursing‘s faculty and staff and McNeese’s advanced facilities. For the past several years, our student certification rates for family nurse practitioners and psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners has been 100%, and most of our ...
The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) is the national voice for academic nursing.AACN works to establish quality standards for nursing education; assists schools in implementing those standards; influences the nursing profession to improve health care; and promotes public support for professional nursing education, research, and practice.
HBCU Nursing Programs & Schools - Registered nursing
An complete list of HBCU with nursing programs and schools in 2022. Find a Historically Black College and University nursing program to fit your needs. ... Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) offer so much more than a degree to those who attend these institutions of higher learning. ... Louisiana. Dillard University Visit ...
LHC Group · Myers School of Nursing UL Lafayette
UL Lafayette’s nursing program is among 17 nationwide in 2020 to receive the prestigious designation as a National League for Nursing Center of Excellence in Nursing Education. Read more here. The nursing program at UL Lafayette was ranked among the country's best in the U.S. News & World Report's 2022 edition of "Best Colleges." Read more here.
Our History | University of Louisiana at Lafayette
The University of Louisiana at Lafayette’s more than 19,000 students attend a world-renowned research institution spread across a 1,500-acre campus of handsome red brick buildings and natural beauty. Things looked far different circa July 14, 1898. That’s when it all began for the new Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute.
Nursing Colleges in USA: Fees, Courses, Eligibility, Scholarships and Scope
Best Nursing Colleges in USA. Programs for nursing in USA are offered by over 605 colleges and universities. Out of these, 5 are included in the top 10 list of QS News World Ranking of 2021 for nursing. Tabulated information on courses offered by top-ranked nursing colleges in USA is provided below:
Louisiana Technical College - Wikipedia
Originally known as "Trade Schools", Louisiana's technical colleges began with the establishment of the first campus in Bogalusa in November 1930. Funding for the school was provided by local sawmill workers, school children, and other citizens in response to their desire to expand course offerings through the Bogalusa School System to include a "manual arts" training department.
Chamberlain University: College of Nursing & Public Health
The Chamberlain University Doctor of Nursing Practice (delivered via distance education) is accredited by the National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (NLN CNEA) located at 2600 Virginia Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20037 (202-909-2526).
2023 Best Nursing Schools (Master's Program) - US News Rankings
See expanded profiles for more than 2,000 programs. Unlock entering class stats including LSAT, MCAT, GMAT and GRE scores for business, law, medicine, engineering, education and nursing programs ...
2022-2023 Best Colleges in Louisiana | U.S. News Rankings
Looking for a college in Louisiana? See a listing of Louisiana colleges and universities at U.S. News Best Colleges. Admissions information, tuition, rankings and more for colleges in Louisiana.