How to Pick a Nursing College near Salyersville Kentucky
Selecting the right nursing school near Salyersville KY may feel like a formidable endeavor, especially if you have no idea what to look for in a good degree program. As you may presently understand, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to receive the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you research and evaluate the qualifications of each school you are contemplating before enrolling in your final selection. Regrettably, too many prospective students base their determination entirely on the cost of tuition and the distance of the school. Selecting the least costly program or the one that is nearest to your house is most likely not the best way to decide on a nursing program. There are a number of key additional factors to investigate before you decide where to attend classes. But before we delve into that checklist, let’s first cover what the role of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, as well as the nursing degree options that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in many different medical settings, including Salyersville KY hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general duty is to help doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise in addition to where they work. A portion of the duties of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Overseeing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Managing care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Instructing patients and their families
- Keeping health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more advanced job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degree Options
There is more than one degree option offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or advance to obtain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short descriptions of the nursing degrees that are available in the Salyersville KY area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a two year program offered by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level job in nursing in healthcare facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and subsequently obtain a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more expansive training than the ADN. It is commonly a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might wish to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a two year program after acquiring the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has acquired one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing fluctuate from state to state, so make sure to check with the Kentucky board of nursing for any state mandates.
LPN and LVN Programs
There are generally two scholastic credentials offered that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be concluded in the shortest time frame, generally about one year, is the certificate or diploma program. The second alternative is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and generally require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, in addition to providing a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you pursue, it should be Kentucky approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the syllabus effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
In contrast to some other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to attain a college degree. CNA education can be obtained at Salyersville KY area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the instruction can take anywhere from just one to three months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to obtain at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimum amount of instruction mandated and that every state has its specific prerequisites. So it’s essential to make certain that the course you enroll in not only meets the federal requirements, but likewise those for Kentucky or the state where you will be practicing. One recommendation is to contact the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the training course is state approved. Along with the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there might be additional requirements as well.
What to Ask Nursing Degree Programs
Once you have decided on which nursing program to enroll in, along with if to attend your classes on campus near Salyersville KY or online, you can utilize the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges within Kentucky and the United States. So it is essential to reduce the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we previously pointed out, the site of the school and the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the first two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection compares to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Aside from helping ensure that you get an excellent education, it may help in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are often not available in Salyersville KY for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) together with graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a certain number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only delivers an outstanding education, but also preps you to comply with the minimum licensing requirements for Kentucky or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating services to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. Also, get in touch with the Kentucky school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Salyersville KY healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a favorable reputation within the Salyersville KY medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The best way to get experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing too. Ask if the schools have associations with Salyersville KY hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Nursing Online Classes
Enrolling in nursing schools online is growing into a more preferred way to get instruction and earn a nursing degree. Many schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs require a specified number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare facility. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more convenient answer to finding the free time to attend school for some Salyersville KY students. Regarding tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be minimized, helping to make education more economical. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your job and family obligations have left you with very little time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Salyersville KY?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Salyersville Kentucky area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Salyersville (/ˈsæljərzvəl/) is a home rule-class city on the Licking River in Magoffin County, Kentucky, in the United States. It is the seat of its county. According to the United States Census Bureau, the population was approximately 1,754 as of 2015.
After an aborted attempt at settlement in 1794, the hill overlooking the Horseshoe Bend of the Licking River just downriver from the present city was fortified and settled c. 1800 by Archibald Prater, Ebenezer Hanna, and others. Originally known as Prater's Fort, the community had become Licking Station by the time of its first post office in 1839.
In 1849, the post office was moved to the community at site of the present city and renamed Adamsville after local landowner William "Uncle Billy" Adams. In addition to his farmland, Adams operated a hotel, a gristmill, a tannery and a blacksmith at the new location.
Choose the Right Nursing Degree near Salyersville KY
Enrolling in the ideal registered nursing school is arguably the most important phase to launching a new career in the healthcare field. There are numerous aspects that you must take into account when deciding on a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, lifestyle, and economic situation. As we have stressed within this post, it is important that you select an RN school and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to pick from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your dedication and ambition to succeed, you can become a licensed registered nurse in Salyersville KY.
More Awesome Locations in Kentucky
Bing: Kentucky nursing programs Search results
Doctor of Nursing Practice | College of Nursing - University of Kentucky
“Practice-focused doctoral programs are designed to prepare experts in specialized advanced nursing practice. They focus heavily on practice that is innovative and evidence-based, reflecting the application of credible research findings." ... The baccalaureate and DNP programs at the University of Kentucky College of Nursing are accredited by ...
Home | University of Kentucky
Athletics The University of Kentucky Athletics Department is a 22-sport program dedicated to competing at the highest level nationally and in the Southeastern Conference, while enriching the lives of its nearly 500 student-athletes – both during and after their time at UK – and honoring the deep connections it shares with its fans, the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the university it represents.
Nursing shortages still have a grip on Kentucky's health care system
In fact, the Kentucky Hospital Association recently released its 2022 Workforce Survey Report, which reported 13,423 full-time equivalent vacancies at the end of 2021. Registered nurses and ...
Board of Nursing Professional Licensure Requirements | NCSBN
This new regulation applies to programs using all modalities, including online, in-person, or a combination of both. Regulation 34 CFR 668.43 (a) (5) (v) will require the nursing program to provide: a list of all states/jurisdictions where the institution’s curriculum meets state educational requirements for professional licensure or ...
Kentucky Programs of Nursing - Kentucky Board of Nursing
The Kentucky Board of Nursing only approves and regulates pre-licensure nursing education programs that originate in Kentucky. Information on all such vocational and professional nursing education programs that have received developmental, initial or full approval status can be found by searching the KBN document library for either of these ...
NKU Home Page: Northern Kentucky University, Greater Cincinnati Region
Northern Kentucky University, a growing metropolitan university on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati. ... Students studying nursing, occupational and physical therapies, as well as other health sciences, will develop their professional skills in a progressive environment. The center houses simulation spaces, clinical and nursing skill ...
KHEAA-Administered Programs :: Kentucky Higher Education Assistance ...
The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority is a public corporation and governmental agency created to improve access to college and technical training. KHEAA administers federal student loan programs, provides state financial aid and distributes information about college opportunities.
HBCU Nursing Programs & Schools - Registered nursing
List of HBCU Nursing Programs by State Jump to Your State Listings Select Your State Alabama Arkansas Delaware Florida Georgia Kentucky Louisiana Maryland Mississippi Missouri North Carolina Pennsylvania South Carolina Tennessee Texas Virginia Washington, DC West Virginia
Northern Kentucky University Online
Northern Kentucky University Online - Improve your career opportunities professional knowledge base, and achieve personal goals with our 100% online programs. ... Nursing Programs. Our evidence-based programs enhance your leadership abilities and prepare you for professional nursing roles across a broad spectrum of healthcare settings.
Online MBA - Northern Kentucky University
Nursing Programs. Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice; Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing; Master of Science in Nursing – Nursing Education Concentration ... The 100% online Master of Business Administration program at Northern Kentucky University gives you valuable tools for career advancement while empowering you to ...