How to Pick a Nursing College near Gracey Kentucky
Selecting the best nursing school near Gracey KY may seem like a complex project, particularly if you don’t know what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently understand, to practice as a registered nurse, you must acquire the proper education and training to become licensed. So it is critically important that you study and determine the qualifications of each school you are considering before enrolling in your ultimate selection. The fact is, too many prospective students base their determination solely on the cost of tuition and the nearness of the school. Deciding on the least costly college or the one that is local to your home is no doubt not the most ideal way to decide on a nursing program. There are various essential additional factors to explore before you make a decision where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first go over what the role of a registered nurse is in our medical care system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Functions
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different medical settings, namely Gracey KY hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general function is to assist doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise along with where they work. A portion of the duties of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Monitoring patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more complex job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and generally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
There are several degree options to choose from to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can obtain a qualifying degree in just 2 years, or advance to achieve a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short descriptions of the nursing degrees that are available in the Gracey KY area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is usually a 2 year program offered by community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level position in nursing in medical facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and subsequently earn a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) offers more in depth training than the ADN. It is normally a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might desire to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a 2 year program after receiving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so be sure to contact the Kentucky board of nursing for any state mandates.
There are essentially two academic accreditations available that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be concluded in the shortest time period, generally about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma program. The other option is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma alternative and typically require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, in addition to supplying a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you seek, it should be Kentucky approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the course of study effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike some other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to attain a college degree. CNA instruction can be received at Gracey KY area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The duration of the instruction can take anywhere from one to 3 months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to obtain at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which need to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimal amount of training mandated and that every state has its specific prerequisites. So it’s necessary to make certain that the course you enroll in not only meets the federal requirements, but additionally those for Kentucky or the state where you will be practicing. One suggestion is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the education is state certified. In addition to the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there can be additional prerequisites as well.
Things to Ask Nursing Colleges
Now that you have chosen which nursing program to pursue, and whether to attend your classes on campus near Gracey KY or on the web, you can use the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you probably are aware, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges within Kentucky and the United States. So it is necessary to decrease the number of schools to select from so that you will have a manageable list. As we already mentioned, the site of the school and the price of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the first two points that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate selection, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Aside from helping make sure that you obtain an excellent education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not provided in Gracey KY for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specified number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an exceptional education, but also prepares you to satisfy the minimum licensing standards for Kentucky or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Visit online rating companies to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. Also, check with the Kentucky school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Gracey KY healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a superb reputation within the Gracey KY medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to get experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with Gracey KY hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the positioning of students in internships.
Online Nursing Degrees
Enrolling in nursing schools online is emerging as a more in demand way to receive instruction and acquire a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs call for a specific number of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare center. But since the rest of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more convenient solution to finding the free time to attend school for some Gracey KY students. Regarding tuition, many online degree programs are less costly than other on campus choices. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more easily affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and family commitments have left you with limited time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Gracey KY?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Gracey Kentucky area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Kentucky Route 117
Kentucky Route 117 (KY 117) is an 18.974-mile-long (30.536 km) state highway in Christian County, Kentucky. It travels from U.S. Route 41 Alternate (US 41 Alt.) in Oak Grove to KY 3186 in Gracey.
Enroll in the Right Nursing Program near Gracey KY
Picking the right registered nursing program is arguably the most critical first step to beginning a new career in the medical care field. There are a number of variables that you should consider when deciding on a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have emphasized within this post, it is essential that you choose an RN school and a degree program that are both accredited and have exceptional reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing RN in Gracey KY.
More Awesome Locations in Kentucky
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: Kentucky nursing degrees Search results
Types Of Nursing Degrees And Levels | NurseJournal.org
Entry-Level Nursing Degrees and Programs. Students can pursue diplomas, certificates, and associate degrees to earn entry-level nursing degrees. Each qualification leads to different jobs. Learners can often complete certificates in as little as a year, while a diploma or an associate-level program requires two or more years of full-time study.
Eastern Kentucky University
Choose from a variety of in-demand and nationally recognized academic programs, from associate to doctoral degrees. Discover your true calling at EKU. 859-622-1000 [email protected]
Sullivan College of Nursing | Nursing School Degrees
The classroom faculty--who hold Master's Degrees in Nursing--bring a wealth of real-world experience, some of which are still practicing. The College of Nursing is approved by the Kentucky Board of Nursing in addition to the University’s SACSCOC accreditation. ... Kentucky Program of Nursing Benchmarks. Learn More. Finish in under 2 years! In ...
HBCU Nursing Programs & Schools - Registered nursing
Their nursing program is listed as having a 97.83% NCLEX-RN pass rate for first-time test-takers, which is over 5% higher than the state average of 92.6 in 2019. Prospective nursing students have many choices when considering accredited programs.
Northern Kentucky University Online
Northern Kentucky University Online - Improve your career opportunities professional knowledge base, and achieve personal goals with our 100% online programs. Skip to content 800-985-7215 800-985-7215
‘Implicit Bias’ Training Cost Me My Nursing Job - WSJ
College Station, Texas. I was fired from my nursing job this year for refusing to take “implicit bias” training. After 39 years of providing equal care to all my patients without regard to ...
Lifestyle | Daily Life | News | The Sydney Morning Herald
The latest Lifestyle | Daily Life news, tips, opinion and advice from The Sydney Morning Herald covering life and relationships, beauty, fashion, health & wellbeing
One Class at a TimeInstead of juggling multiple assignments and exams, you will take one class for four weeks before moving on; Flexible OptionsThe scheduling flexibility to take classes on campus, online, or both; Small Class SizesIndividual attention from a faculty of industry experts; Financial ServicesGrants, scholarships, and financial aid available for students who qualify
Nursing shortages still have a grip on Kentucky's health care system
In fact, the Kentucky Hospital Association recently released its 2022 Workforce Survey Report, which reported 13,423 full-time equivalent vacancies at the end of 2021. Registered nurses and ...
College of Nursing – Keiser University
Professionally Focused Degrees for Patient-Focused Nursing Careers. Slider Status. Request Information Request Info. Step 1 Step 1 of 2. Location: Area of Study: Program of Interest: ... There is a growing need for compassionate and qualified nursing professionals. To help meet the need, the College of Nursing at Keiser University offers career ...