How to Choose a Nursing College near Goshen Kentucky
Searching for the best nursing college near Goshen KY may feel like a complex project, particularly if you don’t know what to look for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to receive the necessary education and training to become licensed. So it is essential that you research and measure the qualifications of each college you are thinking about before enrolling in your final selection. The fact is, too many potential students base their determination solely on the cost of tuition and the proximity of the school. Choosing the least costly program or the one that is closest to your home is most likely not the most ideal way to choose a nursing program. There are a number of key additional factors to investigate before you determine where to attend classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first review what the job of a registered nurse is in our health system, as well as the nursing degree alternatives that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical environments, including Goshen KY hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general job is to help doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization in addition to where they work. A portion of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Observing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Instructing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more advanced job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are several degree options to choose from to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in just two years, or advance to achieve a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some short summaries of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Goshen KY area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is generally a two year program made available by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level job in nursing in healthcare centers including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and later obtain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is commonly a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may wish to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is generally a 2 year program after obtaining the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has received one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Additional requirements for licensing change from state to state, so be sure to check with the Kentucky board of nursing for any state mandates.
LPN and LVN Programs
There are generally two academic credentials offered that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that can be concluded in the shortest time period, generally about 12 months, is the certificate or diploma course. The 2nd choice is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and commonly require 2 years to complete. The benefit of Associate Degrees, along with supplying a higher credential and more comprehensive instruction, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you seek, it should be Kentucky approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
In contrast to many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to earn a college degree. CNA instruction can be obtained at Goshen KY area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training program can take anywhere from one to three months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to have at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which need to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimal amount of training mandated and each state has its own prerequisites. So it’s crucial to make certain that the course you enroll in not only meets the federal requirements, but additionally those for Kentucky or the state where you will be practicing. One tip is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the education is state certified. In addition to the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be other requirements as well.
What to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have chosen which nursing program to pursue, and whether to attend your classes on campus near Goshen KY or on the internet, you can utilize the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your options. As you no doubt are aware, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges within Kentucky and the United States. So it is necessary to decrease the number of schools to select from so that you will have a workable list. As we previously pointed out, the location of the school along with the price of tuition are most likely going to be the first two things that you will consider. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate selection, use the following questions to see how your selection compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. Aside from helping verify that you obtain an excellent education, it may assist in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available in Goshen KY for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an outstanding education, but also preps you to meet the minimum licensing standards for Kentucky or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Look at online rating services to see what the assessments are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. Also, check with the Kentucky school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Goshen KY healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a superb reputation within the Goshen KY healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The best way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing also. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with Goshen KY hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the positioning of students in internships.
Online Nursing Degrees
Enrolling in nursing schools online is becoming a more favored way to receive instruction and acquire a nursing degree. Many schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs call for a specific amount of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare facility. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this option may be a more accommodating solution to finding the free time to attend school for some Goshen KY students. Concerning tuition, a number of online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus options. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more easily affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your job and family responsibilities have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Goshen KY?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Goshen Kentucky area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), all land. It is known for its thoroughbred breeding farms, such as Upson Downs Farm and Sunny Acres Horse Farm (now occupied by Forever Green Farm Riding Academy). Goshen also is home to other farming operations, such as a tree farm called The Riverfarm. Goshen was formerly the location of Land O' Goshen farms, a horse and sheep breeding farm owned and operated by William Burke Belknap.
Founded in 1849, the community was first known as Saltillo for the Mexican city near the 1847 Battle of Buena Vista during the Mexican–American War. When a new post office opened in 1851, it was named Goshen for the biblical Land of Goshen, which was described by American commentators as having had good soil. It was formally incorporated by the state assembly in 1990.
As of the census of 2000, there were 907 people, 288 households, and 254 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,655.8 people per square mile (1,843.1/km²). There were 293 housing units at an average density of 1,504.0 per square mile (595.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.79% White, 0.66% African American, 0.11% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.11% from other races, and 1.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.22% of the population.
Choose the Right Nursing Program near Goshen KY
Choosing the right registered nursing degree program is arguably the most critical step to starting a new career in the health care industry. There are a number of variables that you must consider when picking a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and economic status. As we have highlighted within this article, it is essential that you pick an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have excellent reputations within the medical community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a shortlist of schools to choose from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your hard work and ambition to succeed, you can become a practicing RN in Goshen KY.
More Awesome Locations in Kentucky
Business Results 1 - 10 of 11
Bing: Kentucky nursing schools Search results
School of Nursing - Northern Kentucky University
Northern Kentucky University, a growing metropolitan university on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati. ... postgraduate APRN certificate and Post Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice degree at Northern Kentucky University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education ... Nursing Schools Almanac's 2022 rankings of the ...
Berea is the only one of America’s top colleges that awards every enrolled student a no-tuition promise. No student pays for tuition.
NKU Home Page: Northern Kentucky University, Greater Cincinnati Region
Northern Kentucky University, a growing metropolitan university on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati. ... Students studying nursing, occupational and physical therapies, as well as other health sciences, will develop their professional skills in a progressive environment. The center houses simulation spaces, clinical and nursing skill ...
Home | University of Kentucky
Athletics The University of Kentucky Athletics Department is a 22-sport program dedicated to competing at the highest level nationally and in the Southeastern Conference, while enriching the lives of its nearly 500 student-athletes – both during and after their time at UK – and honoring the deep connections it shares with its fans, the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the university it represents.
List of schools in Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia
Because of the size and diversity of the population of Louisville, Kentucky, there are many schools in a number of different school systems, both public and private.This list of schools in Louisville, Kentucky, attempts to list the educational institutions in Louisville, as well as some post-secondary institutions in the surrounding metropolitan area.
HBCU Nursing Programs & Schools - Registered nursing
Many HBCUs offer nursing programs that are among the top-rated schools in the nation. For example, Fayetteville State University in Fayetteville, North Carolina is among the top HBCUs in the United States. Their nursing program is listed as having a 97.83% NCLEX-RN pass rate for first-time test-takers, which is over 5% higher than the state ...
Murray State University | Top Universities in Kentucky
Celebrating 100 years. Founded in 1922, Murray State offers something for everyone with various ways to learn, grow and get involved on our Murray, Kentucky main campus, our regional campuses, or online.For 100 years, we have encouraged big dreams while supporting every student in pursuit of their passions.
kycovid19.ky.gov - kycovid19.ky.gov - NIC Inc.
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Kentucky Department for Public Health (KDPH) has coordinated state guidance with the recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). ... Wear well-fitting masks in all indoor public settings including K-12 schools: Isolation & Quarantine: Stay home when sick ...
List of colleges and universities in Kentucky - Wikipedia
The following is a list of colleges and universities in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.Kentucky also has two early entrance to college programs, for academically gifted high school juniors and seniors, that allows the students to take college credits while finishing high school. They are the Craft Academy for Excellence in Science and Mathematics, and the Carol Martin Gatton Academy of ...
List of nursing schools in the United States - Wikipedia
This is a list of nursing schools in the United States of America, sorted by state.A nursing school is a school that teaches people how to be nurses (medical professionals who care for individuals, families, or communities in order to attain or maintain health and quality of life).