How to Select a Nursing College near East Bernstadt Kentucky
Locating the right nursing college near East Bernstadt KY may seem like a complex project, particularly if you have no idea what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to obtain the necessary education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you study and assess the qualifications of each program you are thinking about before enrolling in your ultimate selection. The fact is, too many future students base their decision solely on the cost of tuition and the proximity of the school. Choosing the least costly college or the one that is local to your residence is undoubtedly not the most ideal way to select a nursing program. There are various essential additional aspects to investigate before you decide where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first review what the role of a registered nurse is in our health system, as well as the nursing degree alternatives that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Functions
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical environments, including East Bernstadt KY hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary duty is to aid doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the exact duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise along with where they work. A few of the duties of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Observing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Managing care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Taking care of health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more complex job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and generally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat basic illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are multiple degrees available to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in just two years, or continue on to obtain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short explanations of the nursing degrees that are available in the East Bernstadt KY area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is commonly a two year program offered by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and ultimately attain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is commonly a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might want to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a two year program after obtaining the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Further requirements for licensing vary from state to state, so be sure to check with the Kentucky board of nursing for any state mandates.
There are essentially two scholastic accreditations offered that provide instruction to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be finished in the shortest time period, normally about one year, is the certificate or diploma course. The next alternative is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and typically require 2 years to finish. The benefit of Associate Degrees, aside from offering a higher credential and more extensive training, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you seek, it should be Kentucky approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or some other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the course of study properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to earn a college degree. CNA education can be acquired at East Bernstadt KY area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The duration of the instruction can take anywhere from one to 3 months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to obtain at least 75 hours of training, 16 of which must be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimum amount of instruction required and that each state has its specific requirements. So it’s important to make sure that the course you enroll in not only meets the federal requirements, but additionally those for Kentucky or the state where you will be practicing. One recommendation is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the education is state certified. Along with the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there can be additional requirements as well.
Questions to Ask Nursing Schools
Now that you have decided on which nursing degree to enroll in, and if to attend your classes on campus near East Bernstadt KY or on the internet, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt are aware, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges throughout Kentucky and the United States. So it is important to decrease the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier mentioned, the location of the school and the price of tuition are most likely going to be the first two points that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate selection, use the following questions to see how your selection compares to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping verify that you obtain a quality education, it may assist in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are often not offered in East Bernstadt KY for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) together with graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a certain number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only delivers an excellent education, but also preps you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for Kentucky or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the evaluations are for all of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews also. Also, get in touch with the Kentucky school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some East Bernstadt KY healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a superb reputation within the East Bernstadt KY healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing as well. Find out if the schools have associations with East Bernstadt KY hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placement of students in internships.
Online Nursing Degrees
Enrolling in nursing colleges online is emerging as a more preferred way to receive instruction and earn a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs call for a certain number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical answer to finding the time to attend classes for many East Bernstadt KY students. Pertaining to tuition, many online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more easily affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your job and family commitments have left you with limited time to pursue your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing program will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near East Bernstadt KY?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater East Bernstadt Kentucky area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
East Bernstadt, Kentucky
The tornado touched down at approximately 7:05pm EST about 4.3 miles West of East Bernstadt and traveled for 6.3 miles before lifting about 3.6 miles North Northeast of East Bernstadt at approximately 7:12pm EST.
The tornado was approximately 310 yards wide and killed 6 people. This tornado took the home of Mike and Brenda Eversole along with his semi truck and trailer and all their belongings. He and family were in their home when this took place, The only thing that did save their life was the home slamming in the semi and turning it over. That impact slowed the part of their home stopping it from going through the woods with the rest of it. If it had not been there 4 more deaths would have been on the total.
The tornado appears to have been the strongest near location 1, with estimated sustained winds of 125 mph. This is also roughly the area in which several homes were heavily damaged or destroyed, and where the 5 fatalities took place.
Select the Right Nursing Degree near East Bernstadt KY
Selecting the right registered nursing college is arguably the most crucial step to beginning a new career in the medical care field. There are various factors that you should think about when picking a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career goals, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have highlighted within this article, it is critical that you select an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a practicing RN in East Bernstadt KY.
More Awesome Locations in Kentucky
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: Kentucky nursing degrees Search results
U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos - ABC News - ABC News
Get the latest breaking news across the U.S. on ABCNews.com
Sullivan College of Nursing | Nursing School Degrees
The classroom faculty--who hold Master's Degrees in Nursing--bring a wealth of real-world experience, some of which are still practicing. The College of Nursing is approved by the Kentucky Board of Nursing in addition to the University’s SACSCOC accreditation. ... Kentucky Program of Nursing Benchmarks. Learn More. Finish in under 2 years! In ...
Master of Science in Nursing - Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
The baccalaureate degree, master’s degree, Doctor of Nursing Practice, and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at Eastern Kentucky University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington DC 20001, (202) 887-6791.
Eastern Kentucky University
Choose from a variety of in-demand and nationally recognized academic programs, from associate to doctoral degrees. Discover your true calling at EKU. 859-622-1000 [email protected]
Types Of Nursing Degrees And Levels | NurseJournal.org
Entry-Level Nursing Degrees and Programs. Students can pursue diplomas, certificates, and associate degrees to earn entry-level nursing degrees. Each qualification leads to different jobs. Learners can often complete certificates in as little as a year, while a diploma or an associate-level program requires two or more years of full-time study.
Undergraduates: Northern Kentucky University, Greater Cincinnati Region
Northern Kentucky University, a growing metropolitan university on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati. Skip to main content. ... Nursing. fa fa-quote-left As an international student, I flew nearly 12,000 miles away from home to study at NKU. I was scared, and I really didn’t know what to expect, but now I am so glad that I took this ...
Traditional BSN | College of Nursing - University of Kentucky
The University of Kentucky College of Nursing's four-year, traditional BSN in Nursing program prepares our graduates to meet the ever-changing challenges of today's health care needs. Some of our BSN program highlights include: Varied learning experiences -- Students will learn through a combination of classroom, laboratory, and supervised clinical-setting instruction.
Contact a U.S. Member | NCSBN
Boards of Nursing (BONs) are state government agencies that protect the public by standardizing the requirements for nurses to practice.
School of Nursing and Allied Health | Western Kentucky University
Nursing Office Suite 2055, on Second Floor. South Campus - LPN to ASN Nursing Program . 2355 Nashville Road. Bowling Green, KY 42104. Ph: 270-780-2506. Fax: 270-780-9419. email: [email protected] South Campus Nursing office is located in room 139. Main Campus - Dental Hygiene Programs . 1906 College Heights Blvd. #11032 Bowling Green KY 42101 ...
U.S. News: Breaking News Photos, & Videos on the United States - NBC News
Find the latest U.S. news stories, photos, and videos on NBCNews.com. Read breaking headlines covering politics, economics, pop culture, and more.