How to Choose a Nursing School near Markleeville California
Searching for the right nursing school near Markleeville CA may feel like a difficult undertaking, particularly if you don’t know what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, for you to practice as a registered nurse, you need to receive the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is critically important that you study and assess the qualifications of each school you are considering before enrolling in your final selection. Unfortunately, too many potential students base their decision solely on the cost of tuition and the nearness of the school. Choosing the least costly program or the one that is closest to your house is undoubtedly not the most ideal way to pick a nursing program. There are a number of important additional factors to investigate before you decide where to attend classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first review what the role of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, along with the nursing degree alternatives that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the primary occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical settings, including Markleeville CA hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic role is to aid doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the exact duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise along with where they work. A portion of the duties of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Monitoring patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more advanced job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for instance, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There is more than one degree option available to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in just two years, or continue on to achieve a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short summaries of the nursing degrees that are available in the Markleeville CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is usually a two year program made available by community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and afterwards achieve a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more extensive training than the ADN. It is usually a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be eligible to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a 2 year program after attaining the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has received one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing vary from state to state, so don’t forget to contact the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
LPN Certificates and Degrees
There are essentially two scholastic accreditations offered that provide training to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be completed in the shortest period of time, normally about one year, is the certificate or diploma program. The other option is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma alternative and commonly require 2 years to finish. The benefit of Associate Degrees, along with providing a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you seek, it needs to be California approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or some other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the course of study effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike some other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to attain a college degree. CNA education can be acquired at Markleeville CA area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The duration of the instruction can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to receive at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which must be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimum period of training directed and every state has its specific requirements. So it’s crucial to make certain that the course you enroll in not only complies with the federal requirements, but additionally those for California or the state where you will be practicing. One recommendation is to contact the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the training is state certified. As well as the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there might be additional requirements as well.
Things to Ask Nursing Degree Programs
Once you have decided on which nursing program to pursue, and whether to attend your classes on campus near Markleeville CA or on the internet, you can use the following guidelines to start narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges within California and the United States. So it is necessary to decrease the number of schools to select from so that you will have a manageable list. As we previously discussed, the site of the school as well as the price of tuition are most likely going to be the first two points that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So before making your ultimate decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick compares to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. In addition to helping ensure that you get a quality education, it may help in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are often not provided in Markleeville CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a certain number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only provides an exceptional education, but also preps you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the assessments are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. Also, get in touch with the California school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Markleeville CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a superb reputation within the Markleeville CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing as well. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with Markleeville CA hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placing of students in internships.
Nursing Online Degrees
Enrolling in nursing colleges online is growing into a more in demand way to receive instruction and earn a nursing degree. Some schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs require a specific number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more practical answer to finding the time to attend college for some Markleeville CA students. Concerning tuition, some online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus alternatives. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your job and household obligations have left you with limited time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing training program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Markleeville CA?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Markleeville California area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Markleeville (formerly, Markleville) is a census-designated place (CDP) and the county seat of Alpine County, California. The population was 210 at the 2010 census, up from 197 at the 2000 census.
Jacob J. Marklee founded a toll bridge crossing the Carson River in 1861. He aimed to tap into the traffic from the silver mining boom at Silver Mountain City. On June 23, 1862, he recorded a land claim of 160 acres in Douglas County, Nevada. A boundary survey took place, and the property ended up being in California. In 1863, Marklee died after being involved in a gunfight. When the Comstock Lode discovery took place, the town of Markleeville was founded on the Marklee property. Today, the Alpine County Courthouse sits on the former property, which is listed as a California Historical Landmark.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 6.5 square miles (17 km2), all land. The region comprising Markleeville is Alpine in appearance, with lush grassy valley areas. There is a hot spring, and a state park with a campground. Excellent hiking trails abound.
Select the Right Nursing College near Markleeville CA
Choosing the right registered nursing degree program is arguably the most critical first step to beginning a new career in the health care field. There are many factors that you need to consider when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, obligations, and financial situation. As we have pointed out in this post, it is important that you select an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the health care community. By using our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a licensed registered nurse in Markleeville CA.
More Awesome Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: California nursing colleges Search results
Best 20 Colleges in Southern California in 2022 - Best Value Schools
Our Ranking Methodology We ranked the schools on this list using a formula that produces a rating for each school. Our formula takes two vital statistics (yearly tuition rate and graduation rate) into account. Several of the schools on this list have different tuition rates for California residents and non-residents. If this is the case, … Best 20 Colleges in Southern California in 2022 Read ...
Nursing Programs | Concorde Career Colleges
At Concorde, we prepare students for successful careers in nursing and practical/vocational nursing. You can make a great impact on your community. Through a career in nursing, you can positively impact the lives of those in your community while achieving a sense of fulfillment doing meaningful work in a fast-growing, fast-paced health care field.*
2023 Best Community Colleges in California - Niche
#2 Best Community Colleges in California.Santa Barbara City College. Blue checkmark. 2 Year,SANTA BARBARA, CA,996 Niche users give it an average review of 4.1 stars. Featured Review: Sophomore says Santa Barbara City College is an excellent school. The classes are engaging and the professors are especially helpful.
Nursing - California State University, East Bay
The Master's Degree in Nursing and Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing at California State University at East Bay are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, D.C. 20001, 202-887-6791. Baccalaureate Degree previously accredited by National League for Nursing from 1975 to 2011.
2023 Best Christian Colleges in California - Niche
#3 Best Christian Colleges in California.Biola University. Blue checkmark. 4 Year,LA MIRADA, CA,2242 Niche users give it an average review of 4 stars. Featured Review: Freshman says The biblical studies department is the best of its kind for undergrad in the country. It has amazing professors and the education is phenomenal!
California Nursing Scholarships & Grants Programs for CA Student Nurses
Students who are interested in applying for this scholarship can apply directly to the Emergency Nursing Association for further information at 2223 Coolcrest Way, Upland, CA 91784 (tel: 909-985-2811 and website: www.ena.org). California Legion Auxiliary Past Presidents’ Parley Nursing Scholarships
2022 Best Online Colleges in California | BestColleges
California's system of public colleges and universities is the largest in the country, and as of 2021, offers 404 entirely remote programs, serving nearly 53,000 undergraduate and over 30,000 graduate students. Many of the roughly 100 two-year colleges and 150 private four-year colleges in California offer online or hybrid programs as well ...
Foundation for California Community Colleges
Nursing Education Investment Grants Program Announces Awardees of 2022 Grants Cycle; $771,000 in Funds Awarded. August 4, 2022. ... The Foundation for California Community Colleges is a 501(c)(3) organization (EIN 68-0412350). Get involved > Who we serve.
2022-2023 Best Colleges in California | U.S. News Rankings
Looking for a college in California? See a listing of California colleges and universities at U.S. News Best Colleges. Admissions information, tuition, rankings and more for colleges in California.
University of Southern California - Profile, Rankings and Data | US ...
University of Southern California is a private institution that was founded in 1880. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 20,790 (fall 2021), its setting is urban, and the campus size is 226 ...