How to Pick a Nursing College near Brisbane California
Finding the right nursing college near Brisbane CA may seem like a challenging undertaking, especially if you don’t know what to look for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, to practice as a registered nurse, you must receive the appropriate education and training in order to become licensed. So it is critically important that you study and measure the qualifications of each college you are contemplating before enrolling in your ultimate choice. Unfortunately, too many future students base their selection entirely on the cost of tuition and the proximity of the school. Choosing the least costly program or the one that is local to your home is probably not the most ideal way to decide on a nursing program. There are several important additional aspects to check into before you determine where to attend classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first cover what the role of a registered nurse is in our health system, along with the nursing degree options that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Functions
Registered nurses are the primary occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different medical environments, including Brisbane CA hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary duty is to support doctors in the care of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. A portion of the duties of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Overseeing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Managing care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Maintaining health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more complex job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degree Options
There are multiple degrees available to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can receive a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or continue on to achieve a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are available in the Brisbane CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is usually a 2 year program made available by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and ultimately obtain a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is usually a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may want to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a two year program after obtaining the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has attained one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so don’t forget to get in touch with the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
There are generally two academic accreditations available that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that can be finished in the shortest amount of time, commonly about one year, is the certificate or diploma course. The next choice is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma alternative and generally require 2 years to finish. The benefit of Associate Degrees, aside from providing a higher credential and more extensive training, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you seek, it should be California approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or some other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the core curriculum adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
In contrast to other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to attain a college degree. CNA education can be acquired at Brisbane CA area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training program can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to obtain at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which need to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimum amount of instruction required and that each state has its own prerequisites. So it’s important to make certain that the course you enroll in not only fulfills the federal requirements, but also those for California or the state where you will be practicing. One suggestion is to get in touch with the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the training is state certified. As well as the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be additional prerequisites as well.
Things to Ask Nursing Programs
Once you have determined which nursing program to enroll in, and if to attend your classes on campus near Brisbane CA or online, you can use the following guidelines to start narrowing down your options. As you no doubt realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges within California and the United States. So it is essential to lower the number of schools to select from so that you will have a workable list. As we previously mentioned, the site of the school and the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two points that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to see how your pick compares to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. In addition to helping confirm that you receive a premium education, it may assist in securing financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not provided in Brisbane CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an excellent education, but also preps you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check internet rating services to see what the evaluations are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. Also, check with the California school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Brisbane CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a good reputation within the Brisbane CA medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing also. Find out if the schools have associations with Brisbane CA hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the positioning of students in internships.
Nursing Online Programs
Attending nursing schools online is emerging as a more popular way to get training and acquire a nursing degree. Some schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs require a specific amount of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more accommodating approach to finding the free time to attend college for some Brisbane CA students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more easily affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. So if your work and household commitments have left you with limited time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Brisbane CA?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Brisbane California area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Brisbane (/ˈbrɪzbeɪn/ BRIZ-bayn, unlike Brisbane, Australia) is a small city located in California in the northern part of San Mateo County on the lower slopes of San Bruno Mountain. It is located on the southern border of San Francisco, on the northeastern edge of South San Francisco, next to San Francisco Bay and near San Francisco International Airport. The population was 4,282 as of the 2010 census.
Brisbane is called "The City of Stars" because of a holiday tradition established over 65 years ago. At the start of the Christmas/Hanukkah season, many residents and business owners place large, illuminated stars, some as big as 10 feet (3.0 m) or more in diameter, on the downhill sides of homes and offices throughout Brisbane. Many of the stars are kept up all year.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 20.1 square miles (52 km2), of which 3.1 square miles (8.0 km2) is land and 17.0 square miles (44 km2) (84.58%) is water, the latter the Brisbane Lagoon. A remnant of San Francisco Bay, the Lagoon was formed by the construction of the U. S. Highway 101 causeway, and became diminished as most of its north and central portions were filled with landfill. Brisbane sits at the southeast corner of the Guadalupe Valley.
Enroll in the Right Nursing Degree near Brisbane CA
Selecting the ideal registered nursing program is probably the most critical phase to starting a new career in the healthcare industry. There are many aspects that you must consider when deciding on a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have pointed out in this article, it is essential that you select an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the medical community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and ambition to succeed, you can become a licensed registered nurse in Brisbane CA.
More Awesome Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 317
Bing: California nursing colleges Search results
Best 20 Colleges in Southern California in 2022 - Best Value Schools
Our Ranking Methodology We ranked the schools on this list using a formula that produces a rating for each school. Our formula takes two vital statistics (yearly tuition rate and graduation rate) into account. Several of the schools on this list have different tuition rates for California residents and non-residents. If this is the case, … Best 20 Colleges in Southern California in 2022 Read ...
Nursing Programs | Concorde Career Colleges
At Concorde, we prepare students for successful careers in nursing and practical/vocational nursing. You can make a great impact on your community. Through a career in nursing, you can positively impact the lives of those in your community while achieving a sense of fulfillment doing meaningful work in a fast-growing, fast-paced health care field.*
2023 Best Community Colleges in California - Niche
#2 Best Community Colleges in California.Santa Barbara City College. Blue checkmark. 2 Year,SANTA BARBARA, CA,996 Niche users give it an average review of 4.1 stars. Featured Review: Sophomore says Santa Barbara City College is an excellent school. The classes are engaging and the professors are especially helpful.
Nursing - California State University, East Bay
The Master's Degree in Nursing and Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing at California State University at East Bay are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, D.C. 20001, 202-887-6791. Baccalaureate Degree previously accredited by National League for Nursing from 1975 to 2011.
2023 Best Christian Colleges in California - Niche
#3 Best Christian Colleges in California.Biola University. Blue checkmark. 4 Year,LA MIRADA, CA,2242 Niche users give it an average review of 4 stars. Featured Review: Freshman says The biblical studies department is the best of its kind for undergrad in the country. It has amazing professors and the education is phenomenal!
California Nursing Scholarships & Grants Programs for CA Student Nurses
Students who are interested in applying for this scholarship can apply directly to the Emergency Nursing Association for further information at 2223 Coolcrest Way, Upland, CA 91784 (tel: 909-985-2811 and website: www.ena.org). California Legion Auxiliary Past Presidents’ Parley Nursing Scholarships
2022 Best Online Colleges in California | BestColleges
California's system of public colleges and universities is the largest in the country, and as of 2021, offers 404 entirely remote programs, serving nearly 53,000 undergraduate and over 30,000 graduate students. Many of the roughly 100 two-year colleges and 150 private four-year colleges in California offer online or hybrid programs as well ...
Foundation for California Community Colleges
Nursing Education Investment Grants Program Announces Awardees of 2022 Grants Cycle; $771,000 in Funds Awarded. August 4, 2022. ... The Foundation for California Community Colleges is a 501(c)(3) organization (EIN 68-0412350). Get involved > Who we serve.
2022-2023 Best Colleges in California | U.S. News Rankings
Looking for a college in California? See a listing of California colleges and universities at U.S. News Best Colleges. Admissions information, tuition, rankings and more for colleges in California.
University of Southern California - Profile, Rankings and Data | US ...
University of Southern California is a private institution that was founded in 1880. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 20,790 (fall 2021), its setting is urban, and the campus size is 226 ...