How to Select a Nursing College near Big Bear City California
Locating the right nursing program near Big Bear City CA may feel like a challenging undertaking, particularly if you aren’t sure what to search for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, to practice as a registered nurse, you need to receive the proper education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you research and determine the qualifications of each college you are thinking about before enrolling in your ultimate choice. The fact is, too many prospective students base their selection exclusively on the cost of tuition and the nearness of the school. Going with the least costly school or the one that is local to your residence is undoubtedly not the best way to select a nursing program. There are a number of important additional things to investigate before you make a decision where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first go over what the function of a registered nurse is in our medical care system, as well as the nursing degree choices that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the largest occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical settings, including Big Bear City CA hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general job is to support doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization along with where they work. Some of the functions of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Overseeing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Taking care of health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degree Options
There is more than one degree option available to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can obtain a qualifying degree in just 2 years, or continue on to attain a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Big Bear City CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is commonly a two year program offered by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level position in nursing in medical facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and subsequently obtain a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more expansive training than the ADN. It is commonly a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might want to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a 2 year program after receiving the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing vary from state to state, so make sure to get in touch with the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
There are basically two scholastic credentials offered that provide training to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be concluded in the shortest amount of time, normally about one year, is the certificate or diploma course. The next choice is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma alternative and generally require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, along with providing a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you seek, it needs to be California approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or some other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the course of study effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike some other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to earn a college degree. CNA education can be obtained at Big Bear City CA area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training can take anywhere from one to 3 months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to obtain at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which need to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimal amount of training directed and every state has its own prerequisites. So it’s crucial to make certain that the training program you enroll in not only fulfills the federal requirements, but likewise those for California or the state where you will be practicing. One tip is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the education is state approved. Along with the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be other requirements as well.
Things to Ask Nursing Programs
Once you have decided on which nursing program to pursue, along with if to attend your classes on campus near Big Bear City CA or on the web, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your options. As you undoubtedly are aware, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges within California and the United States. So it is important to lower the number of schools to select from so that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier pointed out, the site of the school along with the cost of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the primary two points that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to see how your pick measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Aside from helping ensure that you obtain an excellent education, it may assist in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are often not provided in Big Bear City CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an outstanding education, but also prepares you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check internet rating services to see what the assessments are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews also. Additionally, contact the California school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Big Bear City CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a favorable reputation within the Big Bear City CA medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing also. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with Big Bear City CA hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Online Nursing Classes
Enrolling in nursing schools online is emerging as a more preferred way to receive instruction and earn a nursing degree. Some schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs require a specific number of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical answer to finding the time to attend school for some Big Bear City CA students. Regarding tuition, many online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus choices. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be reduced, helping to make education more affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and household commitments have left you with little time to pursue your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing school will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Big Bear City CA?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Big Bear City California area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Big Bear City, California
Big Bear City is an unincorporated town in San Bernardino County, California, United States along the east shore of Big Bear Lake and surrounded by the San Bernardino National Forest. It is located 27 miles (43 km) northeast of the city of San Bernardino, and immediately east of the incorporated city of Big Bear Lake. Its population was 12,304 at the 2010 census, up from 5,779 at the 2000 census. The makeup of Big Bear City is mostly residential with smaller houses and cabins laid out in typical square block fashion.
It is located immediately east of Big Bear Lake, in-between the city of Big Bear Lake and Baldwin Lake. The town is situated on Big Bear Lake’s south shore. Standard Air Lines of Los Angeles began a regular airline service to the community in the summer of 1929. Big Bear City Park is located at Greenway and houses picnic tables, a recreation hall, and the Eleanor Abbott Historical Museum (Big Bear Valley Historical Museum). Its post office was founded as Van Duesen in 1927, but changed it name to Big Bear City six months after. The Big Bear City Post Office opened in 1928 and still operates.
Big Bear got its name due to the large number of grizzly bears that once roamed the area. Although grizzly bears went extinct in the valley at the turn of the 20th century, there are still thousands of black bears found in Big Bear Valley.
Enroll in the Right Nursing College near Big Bear City CA
Picking the ideal registered nursing school is potentially the most crucial first step to starting a new career in the health care industry. There are various factors that you must think about when deciding on a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career objectives, lifestyle, and economic situation. As we have pointed out in this content, it is critical that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your hard work and ambition to succeed, you can become a licensed registered nurse in Big Bear City CA.
More Awesome Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 20
Bing: California nursing colleges Search results
Best 20 Colleges in Southern California in 2022 - Best Value Schools
Our Ranking Methodology We ranked the schools on this list using a formula that produces a rating for each school. Our formula takes two vital statistics (yearly tuition rate and graduation rate) into account. Several of the schools on this list have different tuition rates for California residents and non-residents. If this is the case, … Best 20 Colleges in Southern California in 2022 Read ...
Nursing Programs | Concorde Career Colleges
At Concorde, we prepare students for successful careers in nursing and practical/vocational nursing. You can make a great impact on your community. Through a career in nursing, you can positively impact the lives of those in your community while achieving a sense of fulfillment doing meaningful work in a fast-growing, fast-paced health care field.*
2023 Best Community Colleges in California - Niche
#2 Best Community Colleges in California.Santa Barbara City College. Blue checkmark. 2 Year,SANTA BARBARA, CA,996 Niche users give it an average review of 4.1 stars. Featured Review: Sophomore says Santa Barbara City College is an excellent school. The classes are engaging and the professors are especially helpful.
Nursing - California State University, East Bay
The Master's Degree in Nursing and Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing at California State University at East Bay are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, D.C. 20001, 202-887-6791. Baccalaureate Degree previously accredited by National League for Nursing from 1975 to 2011.
2023 Best Christian Colleges in California - Niche
#3 Best Christian Colleges in California.Biola University. Blue checkmark. 4 Year,LA MIRADA, CA,2242 Niche users give it an average review of 4 stars. Featured Review: Freshman says The biblical studies department is the best of its kind for undergrad in the country. It has amazing professors and the education is phenomenal!
California Nursing Scholarships & Grants Programs for CA Student Nurses
Students who are interested in applying for this scholarship can apply directly to the Emergency Nursing Association for further information at 2223 Coolcrest Way, Upland, CA 91784 (tel: 909-985-2811 and website: www.ena.org). California Legion Auxiliary Past Presidents’ Parley Nursing Scholarships
2022 Best Online Colleges in California | BestColleges
California's system of public colleges and universities is the largest in the country, and as of 2021, offers 404 entirely remote programs, serving nearly 53,000 undergraduate and over 30,000 graduate students. Many of the roughly 100 two-year colleges and 150 private four-year colleges in California offer online or hybrid programs as well ...
Foundation for California Community Colleges
Nursing Education Investment Grants Program Announces Awardees of 2022 Grants Cycle; $771,000 in Funds Awarded. August 4, 2022. ... The Foundation for California Community Colleges is a 501(c)(3) organization (EIN 68-0412350). Get involved > Who we serve.
2022-2023 Best Colleges in California | U.S. News Rankings
Looking for a college in California? See a listing of California colleges and universities at U.S. News Best Colleges. Admissions information, tuition, rankings and more for colleges in California.
University of Southern California - Profile, Rankings and Data | US ...
University of Southern California is a private institution that was founded in 1880. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 20,790 (fall 2021), its setting is urban, and the campus size is 226 ...